Walcourt (The ramparts of Walcourt )
A - Saint Maternus’ Basilica Voir sur la carte
This Gothic church, granted the status of a major Walloon heritage site, dates back to 1220. Pillaging, war and fire were to spread its construction over several centuries! The choir screen, which dates from 1531, is adorned with a fine drapery of Avesnes stone, said to be a gift of Charles V.
Rue de la Basilique,12
Tel : 0032(0) 71 61 25 26
B - Medieval city Voir sur la carte
Standing on a rocky spur, the little city of Walcourt has withstood the test of time magnificently, preserving its remarkable architecture. As you stroll through the old town, perpendicular streets twist and turn, bearing witness to the medieval spirit.
In the Middle Ages, the annual markets and fairs brought wealth to the city: to ensure their long-term future and their protection, the lords equipped themselves and became allies to powerful families such as the counts of Namur or Durbuy.
The waymarked ‘ramparts walk’ crosses the small city, here and there revealing witnesses of its past. At the end of the walk, why not enjoy the delights of a Charles V beer in a four-handled tankard on one of the terraces around the square! (2 km)
Download the walking card : www.entre-sambre-et-meuse.be
C - The municipal museum Voir sur la carte
This museum is devoted mainly to the history of the rail, but also includes examples of the archaeological, historical, folk and artistic wealth of Walcourt.